So the past month and a half, I've been really busy teaching school, so this blog is a little longer as I try to catch you up!   Time passes really quickly here!!  There's ALWAYS something to do!  Here is a normal schedule of what my day looks like:

I wake up about 5:30am when the sun peeks its head out from the mountains. I either wake up to the roosters next door or the sun coming in my window.  (The sun rises at about 5:30 here!)

Then I read my Bible. I've been reading through the New Testament.  I'm currently reading Paul's letter to the new church in Ephesus. Then a nice ice-cold shower is in order (we don't have hot water) but it feels amazing!!!

By then, I am cutting it close for our teacher's meeting that starts @6:45am at our school, so I grab a poptart and walk to school. We live exactly a 3 minute walk away. So I leave @6:42, because hey, I don't want to be early do I?

School starts @7am and I teach 6th and 7th grades.  I teach class with another Global Year student named Ethan who is back for his second year here in Honduras!  Ethan and I have 28 lively 6th and 7th graders. 

We have a wide range of English fluency in our students: some are fluent in English and some understand little.  Since the curriculum is in English, everyone is working on learning English. 

Recently, if any of the teachers aren't at school, I have been subbing into other classrooms.  I've taught 2nd, 3rd, and 8th/9th in the past 2 weeks. It's interesting to teach the different classes. Generally, the younger grades don't know as much English (which makes it more difficult), but actually love their teachers and want to be there (which is fun).   The 8th and 9th graders almost all speak very good English. Since they do their classwork on their own without as many questions, and don't need me to do as much, it's more relaxed. 

After school, i hang out with my students around the school. We usually play frisbee or soccer.  Sometimes we hangout and talk and eat ice cream bought from the guy that sells ice cream (out of a cooler on the back of his bike).  At only 5 limperas for an ice cream cone (which is equal to about 20 cents in American money) it's a deal!!

Monday night is our free night (whew!). Tuesday we have a Men's Bible study. Wednesday night we have what we call our "Gringo Bible study" (just Global Year students and leaders). Thursday we have a Bible study at the school for all we can get to come, and sometimes we even throw in dinner!  (We always go out before and remind people about the Bible study.). Afterwards, we often throw a frisbee with lights that I brought with me (until people have to go home or we get too hungry).
Friday night we go to San Pedro (about a 45-minute drive), and watch a movie or relax in the air-conditioned mall and get dinner.   Sometimes on Saturday, we will go to our friend's house (who happens to have air conditioning and cable), to watch a college football game. We recently enjoyed watching the Tennessee vs Georgia game (some more than others anyway!). Do you notice a common theme here?  On weekends we go chill in places that have AC, since in the village we live, there is no AC!!!

On Sundays, because of the time difference, I often wake up and watch the live video from my home church in Roswell. Then, every other week, (because of the distance) we go to the English church in San Pedro, mostly attended by missionaries or people who are there to serve the Lord in some way (such as an orphanage). If we don't go to the church in the city, we can watch it on the computer. 

Our village church starts at 3pm on Sundays, so we go around the village and invite people to the service. Afterwards, we will sometimes play a little more soccer or frisbee. 


With the start of language class soon, our schedule will be changing a little.   That's a basic week in El Doradito!  I promise some pictures in my next blog!!!  Thanks for all of your prayers!!!

Comments

  1. Love this blog! SO proud of what you're doing in Honduras! Love you lots!!!
    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to hear how you are doing! -Pastor Brian

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1